Additional details for upcoming events.
Hungarian folk dance events with Fazakas János "Fazi" & Molnár Rozália
Dates: November 12–19, 2022.
Bossa Bistro mini-táncház with Magnólia and Szikra
- TIME: 7:30–9:30 pm
- COST: $10
- SITE: Washington, DC
Székely folk dance workshop
- TIME: 7:00–8:30 pm
- COST: Free
- SITE: Georgetown Lutheran Church
Hungarian Christmas Bazaar performances and táncház, with Tisza, Szikra, and Fészer
- TIME: 1:00–9:00 pm
- COST: $10 in advance / $12 at the door
- SITE: Chevy Chase, MD
Post-Bazaar táncház with Fészer
- TIME: 8:30–midnight+
- COST: Optional donation for the musicians
- SITE: Silver Spring, MD
Groups: Fazi will work with three D.C.-area Hungarian folk dance groups: Tisza Ensemble, the Hungarian Scouts of Washington, D.C. (Cserkész), and Rózsafa Ensemble.
Bio: Fazakas János "Fazi" is an exceptionally talented and highly sought after Hungarian folk-dance performer, teacher, and choreographer. Fazi was raised in Târgu Mureș (Marosvásárhely), Romania, an officially bilingual city comprised mainly of ethnic Hungarians and Romanians.
- Education in Târgu Mureș
- 1979–1980: attended the Folk Art School
- 2001–2002: attended the Folk University
- Work with performing groups
- 1980–1984: dancer in Vadrózsák Folk Dance Ensemble
- 1985–1990: teacher for Forrás Folk Dance Ensemble
- 1990–2011: dancer in Maros Folk Dance Ensemble
- International teaching
- 1992–2019: guided folk dance courses, and taught Transylvanian folk dances in Japan, as danced by Hungarians, Romanians, Roma, and Saxons
Sponsors: Fazi's visit was made possible thanks to grants and donations from Tisza, the Maryland State Arts Council, the Hungarian Scouts of Washington, D.C., and the Bethlen Gábor Foundation.